Catering Event Planning Guidelines
We are very pleased that you have chosen to host your event at the Samberg Conference Center! The guidelines below have been prepared to help you understand the various planning requirements for your catering event as well as explain how pricing and billing for dining services will work.
- Catering menu selections and service details should be confirmed at least 14 days in advance of the event.
- Clients will be issued a Catering Event Order outlining the menu selections, estimated attendance counts, service time and details.
- A signed Catering Event Order must be received 10 business days prior to your event.
- A guaranteed number of guests is required for all functions and must be received by 10:30AM, 3 business days (72 hours) prior to the date of event. Please note the additional requirements below regarding the number of guests provided versus the guaranteed number:
• The room set-up count and the number of guests must be within 5% of the guaranteed number in order to meet the expectations of the group participants.
• The guaranteed number of guests provided must not be less than 10% of the original estimated number of guests shown on your signed Catering Event Order.
• If the actual served count at the event is higher than the guaranteed number of guests, the actual served number will prevail on the final bill.
Catering menu pricing for the Samberg Conference Center includes basic china service and furniture arrangement, with the following exceptions:
• Linens will be a separate line item charge.
• While the Center maintains an inventory of furniture and china for a variety of event types and sizes, there may be occasions when rentals are required. The cost of these rentals will be a separate line item charge to the event. Should you prefer or require china not included within the current inventory, the cost of these rentals will also be a separate line item charge to the event.
Service staffing for an event will be a separate charge from the catering menu pricing and will be shown as a separate line item on the Catering Event Order and final bill.
Service Staffing Guidelines
- 1 Coatroom Attendant per 75 guests
- 1 Bartender per 100 guests
- 1 Hors d’Oeuvres Passer per 50 guests
- 1 Waitstaff per table (8-10ppl per table) + Wine Butler per 3 tables
- 1 Waitstaff per 2 tables (8-10ppl per table) + Buffet Attendants
- 1 Buffet Attendant per 50 guests
Actual room allocation is at the discretion of the Samberg Conference Center scheduling coordinator and will be detailed on the space confirmation. On occasion, specific room assignments may be amended by the Samberg Conference Center scheduling coordinator and any such change would be communicated to the event host as soon as possible.
The scheduling system for the Center will operate on a rolling, 18-month calendar. All events are subject to fees for the use of space and catering services requested. Additional fees will be assessed for events that exceed a 5-hour service period in the evening, conclude after 11pm and/or are held on weekends and legal holidays.
Use of the Samberg Conference Center includes basic furniture arrangement but does not include linen for dining, meeting or serving tables. MIT has partnered with Restaurant Associates (RA) to provide food, beverage and staff for all events at the Conference Center. RA will advise on options for linen rental. While the Center maintains an inventory of furniture for a variety of event types and sizes, there may be occasions when rental furniture is needed and that cost would be assumed by the event.
Weekend and holiday space requests are subject to a minimum number of guests in addition to the food and beverage minimum.
The use of the exterior terrace on Floor 7 is at the discretion of the Samberg Conference Center management and is exclusive to events using Salons on that floor.
The Samberg Conference Center at MIT requires that the method of payment is to be established in advance to include either an authorized cost object or credit card details. There are established food and beverage minimums for each room.
Cancellation of an event will require written notification.
In the event a function is canceled, Client shall be responsible for and pay MIT/RA the following percentages of the estimated charges as liquidated damages and cancellation fees:
Cancellation 0 to 30 days prior to the event: 100% of the estimated charges including food/beverage charges.
Cancellation 30 – 90 days prior to the event: 50% of the estimated charges including food/beverage charges.
Client acknowledges that RA shall incur expenses and post deposits for Client’s event. Client further acknowledges that it would be impractical or extremely difficult to remediate the actual damages suffered by RA in the event of a cancellation of the event, and therefore the amount calculated as set forth above shall be paid to RA as liquidated damages and not as a penalty or forfeiture, and that such amount is reasonable and equitable under the circumstances. If Client cancels and MIT and RA is able to rebook the space and date for a comparable event, then the above cancellation charges shall be reduced by the revenue from the rebooked event.
Client agrees to assume responsibility for any damages to the Samberg Conference Center by its guests, invitees, agents, or employees, for the cost of repairs and/or replacements. Neither MIT nor RA will be responsible for the loss of or damage to any merchandise or articles left in the Samberg Conference Center prior to, during or following the event. Any charges incurred through damage or loss through an outside vendor (i.e.: linen, decorations, floral pieces, etc.) that the result of the Client’s guests, agents, vendors, invitees or employees are the sole responsibility of the Client.